Monday, June 27, 2011

Makin' It

Remember David Naughton?  Nine times out of ten I have this song running through my head.  (The tenth time it's usually the theme to "Mr. Belvedere.")


David is back on this blog to tell you about how I've been Makin' It.  "It" in this case being a brand new quilt!

For this new quilt for my nephew Henry, I'm just using squares -- patterned squares and white squares.  That sounds boring, but actually you can make a lot of different shapes and patterns when you combine them in the following way.

First, pin a patterned square to a white square, right sides facing each other:


Then, using your ruler and a water-soluble marker or pencil, draw a straight line from one corner to another:



Using this line for reference, sew 1/4" away from the pencil line on both sides so you end up with two seams:



Then, cut down the pencil line so you have two triangles:


Finally, open the triangles, press the hems, and you end up with two squares 1/2 white and 1/2 patterned!


These 1/2-and-1/2 squares can then be combined in so many different designs and patterns.  I think for Henry's quilt I'm going to make chevron stripes!

Thanks David Naughton!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment