Monday, June 6, 2011

Blenders!

I've been making pretty good progress on the Castle Peeps quilt.  I decided to use a pattern called "Square One" from the book Simplify by Camille Roskelley, using the various Castle Peeps fabrics as the squares, and keeping the borders and sashing white.



The quilt has 42 squares in it.  At first, I was just going to use various combinations of the Castle Peeps prints.  But that made the squares look too much alike.  Here are the 12 squares I've completed so far:



See?  Kind of busy AND boring (not a good combination).

To remedy this situation, I went to the quilt store (Rosie's!  Finally!  It WAS a happening place!) to look for solids and small monochrome prints in the green/brown/yellow color scheme.  According to my quilt books, these types of fabrics are called "blenders."'

I found a nice yellow print that sort of looks like it has brush strokes:



And a very interesting ombre fabric that goes from olive green to brown:



So I'm going to cut these up and add them to the remaining squares for the quilt.  I think having some solids in there will quiet down the loudness and also make the cute prints stand out more.

Only 30 squares to go!  Ugggghhhhhhh.  

PS - I also got a TON of other fabrics at Rosie's!  Look for them soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment