Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First Project: Rectangles a-poppin'

I'm just going to be totally honest with you:  sewing a line is pretty easy!  You line up your fabrics and press the pedal (with your foot).  The machine pretty much does the rest.

However, sewing a STRAIGHT line is a little trickier.  You really have to keep an eye on the fabric feeding under the machine foot, all while making adjustments with your hands on the fabric and your physical foot on the pedal.  Also my sewing book stressed that you must SIT UP STRAIGHT (no slouching) and KEEP HYDRATED (no dehydrating) while sewing, so make sure you are wearing a corrective brace and have your hydration pack (pink for ladies) on as well.

But even though I was slumpy and kinda dried out, I figured since I was able to sew a sort-of straight line, I could probably also sew a sort-of straight rectangle.  Which leads into my first project:  a pillow!

Using a pillow innards I already had and some yellow print fabric I got on sale at the store of wonders that is Jo-Anns, I cut out and sewed two rectangles together.  I left an opening to put the pillow form in, then hand-sewed up the bottom.  Should it have been more complicated than this?  The seams were a tad wavy, but who cares!  In fact it was so fun that I used the rest of the yellow fabric and made four drapery panels.  I just folded over 1" hems (pressed with an iron to mark them) and sewed most of them (I stopped doing the sides after a while).  I then used ring clips to attach them to some curtain rods.

Soooo, what do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment