Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Just Trying Some Lite Upholstery

OK, well I decided that I'm going to try a "simple" upholstery project.  I have no idea if this is going to work!!!

Here is what happened.  For the past 6 months or so, I have been looking high and low for a comfortable, cute, affordable armless chair that fits into the living room.  I have not been able to find one.  I thought I found one at Ikea.... took it home, put it together, and realized I HATED it!  Luckily, they have a very nice return policy.

Meanwhile, in my garage, I have an old Target "Dolce" armless chair that is the perfect size and shape for the room.  The fabric, however, is not so great.  My cat fell into a hard-core love/hate relationship with the chair, so the seat is covered in black & white fur, while the sides and back have been clawed to shreds.  NOT CUTE.

PRE-cat image:



Now that I am a crafty DIY human sewing machine, however, I decided that I could take this grody chair and "make it work" Tim Gunn style.  (Here he is expressing his look of concern)



So I cleaned up the chair as best I could (de-furred it, steamed it and Febreezed it into the next century) and decided that I could try to make a slipcover for it!  Perhaps I am deluding myself, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard????  We'll soon find out!

As luck would have it, at the end of June, Joann's was having a super-sale on upholstery fabric -- 60% off!!!  So I scored 4 yards of Waverly Mariko at a very good price!



When it was shipped to me, I realized it was a very thick, textured chenille fabric.  Could be interesting!!!



I'll let you know how this turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment